SAGE (Senior Action in a Gay Environment) of South Florida is a social and support group of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders, of all ages, dedicated to serving the needs of the maturing community.
Our goals are to enrich the lives of members of the LGBT senior community. This is accomplished by volunteering and sponsoring various social and educational activities to deal with the special needs of aging. SAGE provides opportunities to interact with members of our LGBT community.
SAGE activities include: luncheons, dinners, movies, dances, workshops, picnics, theatre, concerts, discussion groups, volunteer opportunities and more.
Our monthly activities include (see our Monthly Calendar):
- A monthly luncheon (Lunch & Learn) provides an opportunity to make new friends. Lunch is preceded by a program of interest.
- A Women’s Luncheon is held the second Thursday at the Golden Corral Restaurant in Tamarac.
- Book discussion (sometimes with the author) is held the second Saturday at the Stonewall Library/Archives in Fort Lauderdale.
- Men’s Night Out meets the fourth Monday at 5:00 pm at The Grille on Wilton Drive.
- Movie screenings at The Pride Center at Equality Park.
- The Round Table meets twice montly at The Pride Center. This program is in partnership with Fort Lauderdale Prime Gentlemen, Inc.
Weekly events include (see our Monthly Calendar):
- A men’s discussion group meets on Wednesday from 1 pm to 3 pm, at The Pride Center at Equality Park.
- A Co-Ed discussion group (SAGE on the Border Co-Ed/ Alternatives) meets on Monday from 11 am to 1 pm at the Volen Center in Boca Raton.
- The SAGE Computer Club meets at 4:00 pm on Wednesday at The Pride Center. Here you can improve your information technology skills.
- Other activities take place at various times and places.
Early in 1994 members of the Broward county community determined that the needs of maturing gays and lesbians were not being addressed adequately by existing organizations.
Using New York’s already established SAGE (Services & Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders) group as a model, local volunteers formed the necessary committees and a SAGE Board of Directors was formed and obtained it’s Federal 501(c)3 nonprofit status. SAGE of South Florida is the oldest affiliate of the national SAGE organization.
The fledgling group started in 1994 with about 10 members. It now has over 300 very active members and serves Broward and Palm Beach counties.
SAGE members keep the group running with their vitality, enthusiasm, and dedication.
SAGE is for persons, whether retired or still working, who wish to add meaning and purpose to the maturing community.
Everyone, regardless of age or status, contributes to the success of SAGE with their energy and support. All are welcome.