SAGE (Senior Action in a Gay Environment) is a social and support group of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders, of all ages, dedicated to serving the needs of the maturing community.
Our goals are to enrich the lives of members of the GLBT senior community. This is being accomplished by volunteering and sponsoring various social and educational activities to deal with the special needs of aging. SAGE provides opportunities to interact with members of our GLBT community.
SAGE activities include: luncheons, dinners, movies, dances, workshops, boat rides, theater, concerts, discussion groups, volunteer opportunities, etc.
Some of our monthly activities are:
- A monthly luncheon provides an opportunity to make new friends. Lunch is followed by a program of interest.
- SAGE’s women meet for lunch at a local restaurant.
- Book discussion (sometimes with the author) at Stonewall Library (Fort Lauderdale).
- Movie meetings at the GLCC.
Weekly events are:
- A men’s discussion group meets Wednesday’s, 1 pm to 3 pm, at the GLCC.
- A “coed” discussion group (SAGE on the Border / Alternatives) meets Mondays from 11 am to 1 pm and is held at the Volen Center (Boca Raton).
- Other activities take place at various times and places.
Up to date information can be found in our monthly newsletter and at this website.
Early in 1994 members of the Broward County gay community determined that the needs of maturing gays and lesbians were not being addressed adequately by existing organizations.
Using New York’s already established SAGE (Seniors in Action for a Gay Environment) group as a model, local volunteers formed the necessary committees and a SAGE Board of Directors was formed and obtained it’s Federal (501c-3) status. SAGE of South Florida was on its way.
The fledgling group started in 1994 with about 10 members. It now has over 450 very active members and covers the Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.
SAGE members keep the group running with their vitality, enthusiasm, and dedication.
SAGE is for persons, whether retired or still working, who wish to add meaning and purpose to the maturing community.
Everyone, regardless of age or status, contributes to the success of SAGE with their energy and support. All are welcome.